Wednesday, April 4, 2012
the Nora dress
OK so I lamed out and couldn't think of a "name" for Sadie's Easter dress, but Charlotte-well I just went with her middle name. Easy peasy.
See below for the tutorial!
1-2 yards fabric (depending on the size of course)
So first off I drew a basic bodice pattern by tracing a tee folded in half. Then I drew a square neck and drew a line across like so. Add seam allowances!
Then I used that bodice to draw a longer tee, essentially. We'll add width later.
ok, right now! For the bottom of the dress, add a few inches to the fold (left hand side), for gathering.
Also I sketched out a quick gathered sleeve pattern.
For the back pieces, cut out 4...and extend it about 1.5". Or less if you want only two buttons. This overlapped more than I was expecting so I added 2 more buttons than I was planning. I kinda like how it turned out, but of course it's up to you.
So then cut out 2 of the skirt panels on the fold, 2 front bodices on the fold, 2 sleeves on the fold, and 2 strips to make bias tape. (measure around your kiddos arm and add seam allowance for the length. I cut mine 1.75" wide)
I also cut (selvage to selvage) a strip 2.5" wide (for the strip across the front bodice), and two strips 1.5" wide (for the bow)
Next lay the back pieces on top of the front pieces right sides together, and sew the shoulder seams together. Press open.
Then pin the bodice pieces right sides together like so (make sure to line up the shoulder seams!), and sew up one side of the back bodice, around the neck, and down the other back piece.
Then clip into the corners like so, but don't cut too close!
Also clip the back bodice corners like so.
Then turn the bodice right sides out and press around the neckline and back. I also top stitched around it as well.
Then overlap your back pieces and figure out button placement. Make sure they're above the seam allowance on the bottom!
Put your buttonholes in, and also baste the overlap together on the very bottom.
Next take the 2.5" wide piece you cut and fold it in half, wrong sides facing. Press. Then line up the raw edge with the raw edge of the bottom of the bodice, and pin. Trim the sides to match the armholes.
Baste the bottom of the strip down, then top stitch the top down as well.
Next I gathered the skirt panels to fit the bottom of the back and front of the bodice.
Pin, sew, and finish seams.
Next I gathered the bottom of my sleeves to fit the strips of fabric I cut earlier (which I made bias tape with, ironing the sides in 1/4", then in half again), pinned the bias tape over the raw edge, and top stitched it along the top of the bias tape.
Then I gathered, pinned, and sewed the sleeves into the armhole. Finish the seams.
Pin and sew the sides of the dress together. Finish seams of course!
Then I sewed the long sides of those long strips right sides together. Left the ends open, then turned it right side out with a safety pin and carefully pressed it. Tuck the ends under and top stitch, then tie into a bow and pin with a safety pin to the dress on top of the strip you sewed on! You could handstitch it on, but I find bows don't wash very well...so I do this most of the time. Oh, and sew on your buttons too. Tada!