Hey everybody! Just a quick note about next month's sew-along-it will be in the beginning of April instead of near the end...due to a super cool radically awesome something happening. hmm, mysterious enough? lol. And a lot of you will be happy to hear the sew-along is the.....Chrysanthemum top!
Newly renamed the Leah top. (Now I'm just using girl names I like)
hooray! So look for more info and a supply list
On to the end of the Lucky dress sew-along!
Let's cut out the bottom contrast piece now: lay out your dress like so:
Then I cut along the bottom edge like so, leaving about 2.5" underneath my skirt, and about 3/4" on the side. (to fold under)
Then I pulled the skirt back and cut along the edge, eyeballing the width. (I did trim a little later)
I then serged along the bottom of the dress, and along the top and sides of the contrast band.
Then I ironed the hem up about 1/2" like so.
I folded over one edge of the contrast band about 1/2", and sewed that down.
Then starting with that sewn end, I pinned it like this along the hemmed edge, matching the serged (or zig zagged) edges.
When I got the end end, I folded under the leftover fabric and sewed it like the other end.
Then I sewed the hem down (from the right side of the fabric) using my presser foot as my guide.
tada! Now you can trim if needed and make it more even.
Then I sewed some bias tape, leaving a bit on each edge, then folded over the edges and sewed it down like the sleeves and bib.
For the buttons, I covered my metal buttons with the matching solid, and made buttonholes down the back, overlapping the edges as needed for my button size. Then sewed on the buttons, tada! Done.