One of my favorite things about sewing is attempting to recreate clothing I see online or in stores. There is so much inspiration out there! So when I pinned this adorable dress, I knew it wouldn't be long before I made one!
The feminine ruffles are adorable. This one's named after my adorable niece Coraline! :)
Sadie refused to take it off once she tried it on!
Read on to see how I made it!
cotton fabric-I used 1.5 yards for a size 3T
tee for pattern
thread, sewing stuff :)
First I traced a t-shirt, adding seam allowances.
Trace the back neckline and then the front, dipping down like so.
Then cut out one back piece on the fold, and 2 of the front. (not on the fold)
Then I cut two pieces 2.5" x 5.5" (or however wide your front piece is where the buttons go.)
Then press in the edges 1/4" like so, then press in half.
Sew the bodice pieces right sides together at the shoulder seams, and serge or zig zag stitch the seam.
Then cut some strips 1.75" on the bias (more info about bias tape here), and cut or piece together until it's twice as long as the measurement around the neck.
Cut 2 pieces this length, then sew them right sides together along a long side.
Also make bias tape long enough to fit around the neckline, and the two armholes.
Then turn right side out, press, and then serge the other side.
Sew a gathering stitch along that edge, and gather to fit the neckline. Baste along the edge.
Then pin the button flaps onto the edges like so, encasing the ruffle.
Then sew along the edge.
Then place your buttons, and make the button holes.
Then pin the bias tape around the neckline, and use this method to sew it on.
Then I cut 4 pieces 1.75"x twice as long as your armhole measures.
I layered them, folded them in half, and cut a curve like so.
Then I sewed the curved sides, right sides together.
Turn right sides out, press, and serge or baste the opposite edge.
Then I gathered it to fit the armhole, with an inch or two on either end to spare.
Then sew together the bodice sides and serge or zig zag the seams. Then sew together the front part where the button flaps are along the bottom. Then, I lost steam at taking pics....lol so here's the rest of it!
I cut 2 panels of fabric selvage to selvage, 17" long (or however long you'd like it the skirt to be), then I sewed the two short ends right sides together, then finished the seams, and gathered the top edge of the skirt to fit the bottom of the bodice. Pinned and sewed together, then hemmed the bottom of the skirt, and sewed on the buttons!