Heeeere's the tutorial for that green and teal dress from Anthropologie! I have to tell you, I don't have pictures of every step, because the way it's constructed is similar to the Sadie shirt-so I'll refer you to that tutorial a few times.
Click below for more details!
So, you'll need:
fabric (I got away with one yard for my smallish 2.5 year old. Adjust accordingly!)
buttons to cover (I got mine at Joann's, they're also available on Etsy)
1/4" and 1/8" elastic
First I made my pattern. I used one of my many tracings I have laying around, traced from a shirt Sadie has. I go into more detail about this here and here, although it will be different than those for this dress. lol. did I confuse you much?
I altered the front, by making it wider than the back to allow for pleating at the neckline, and for some gather around the waist.
The back piece is a simple slight A-line. The sides of the pattern should match.
I also made a cap sleeve and made it a little longer from top to bottom to allow for some gathering.
Then I cut out my pieces, one back, one front, (both on the fold), two sleeves, and some bias strips 1.75" long for the sleeves and neck. Not shown: a rectangle about 3-4"x6-7".
On the front piece I found the middle and then made some pleats, as evenly as I could. I did end up adding one more to either side, after sewing the neck bias tape on and it was too big! :( so make sure the neckline fits your kiddo before sewing the bias tape on...just trust me.
Then I sewed the button closure in, ala the Sadie shirt!
Sewed the shoulder seams together...
Then I took Sadie's arm measurement, added about 3/4- 1 inch for seam allowance, then cut and made bias tape to that length. Also make some for the neckline, but we'll get back to that.
I sewed a gathering stitch along the bottom (and top, though not shown in this pic) of the sleeves, and then gathered it to fit the bias tape piece.
Then I sandwiched it between the tape, and sewed those on to the sleeves. I then gathered the top to fit the arm holes (shown here also) and sewed the sleeves in, and the right sides of the dress together.
Also use some bias tape to sew your collar together, per the Sadie shirt.
I then decided where to place my casing for the elastic waist, I did it about 4 inches in from the side seams, and I don't know how far from the armpits, I just eyeballed it! Placed some pins there so I could see where it started from the inside.
I cut a long strip of material 3/4 inch long, then cut it to fit the length from pin to pin around the dress.
I then serged the edges so they'd be enclosed. You could zig zag stitch too, or sew up a tube to be your casing.
Then I pinned it to the inside of my dress. Luckily the polka dots helped me keep the casing really straight!
like so...Then, I sewed along the top and bottom of the casing, making sure there was enough space for the 1/4" elastic to fit through. I then cut my elastic (mine was about 14" I think, I held it up to Sadie and held my breath. I cut it too short the first time-10"-and had to take it out!), and then threaded it through with a safety pin, sewed down one end of the elastic, pulled the other end out, and sewed that down too.
Then I covered the buttons with some green fabric I had, sewed those to the dress, and wha-la! done and done. It's a super simple but adorable dress! I hope your eyes don't hurt from the pictures of this fabric, it's not as bright in person, promise. My camera doesn't like it though. lol.
Let me know if you have any questions! Thanks guys!