Not that Sadie has a TON of dress up stuff yet, but I had this idea to make a dress up storage thingy, and it wouldn’t leave me alone. The idea, that is. Don’t you love (hate) ideas like that? just kidding, I really liked this project, really.
Rory cut all the wood out and put it together last weekend (I helped!), and I spent the week painting it. (not so fun while 8 months pregnant, but oh well. It was well ventilated while I painted, so don’t worry) I did figure out all the measurements. yah me.
(please ignore our nasty walls…we’re painting them…someday)
It’s really simple, two sides, a bottom, sides for a box on the bottom…and a dowel, all screwed together. We were able to make it with wood left over from our kitchen counter tops too, so the wood was free! (Rory disagrees about it being “free”, but was it being used for anything else, Rory? huh?) 😉
I painted the letters on the side with some craft paint. Not free handed (yah right!), I traced the letters using a font called Dream Orphans. (weird font name, huh?) The two S’s are a little too far from the “e” and it BUGS me! not enough to do it over though.
I did buy the blue paint, and used about half a quart, so that was $5. Also bought two hooks for the sides (which I screwed in myself, thankyaverymuch), another $6. The dowel was $3, so our grand total was under $15! nice!
Ok, for those who asked and who maybe want to try one of their own, here are the measurements I came up with.
All wood was 3/4 inch plywood. The bottom piece is 14″x36″, the two side pieces for the box at the bottom are 34 1/2″x9″. The two side pieces are 14″x36″, and the dowel we cut at 34 1/2″ and screwed in from the sides. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions!
Check out the plans on Ana White’s website! She contacted me to check for permission to use my idea and then drew up her own plans. Super cool!
Also featured on Oh Dee Doh,