The curved ruffle makes a really interesting shape, which I love.
First I traced a tee shirt folded in half, and angled out the sides in a slight A-line like so. Make sure to draw the front and back neckline.
Then I used the armhole on the bodice to trace a sleeve pattern. (the top is the fold of course)
This is how I make my sleeve patterns-this one will have some gathering.
Then I cut out a front and back piece, both on the fold, and 2 sleeve pieces on the fold, plus one piece of fabric 4×6 for the front facing/closure.
I also cut some strips of bias tape 1.75″ wide, and one 2″ wide that was about 30″ long, though if you want a rufflier ruffle you can make it longer or wider!
Then I serged around 3 edges of the rectangle and placed it in the middle of the front neckline (fold both pieces in half to find the middle), and sew the button closure like it shows in this tute, only leave out the elastic.
Turn right side out and press.
Next I serged the two long sides of the 2″ wide bias piece and ironed it in half lengthwise. Then I sewed a gathering stitch down the crease and gathered it to fit around the closure like so…it does dip lower than the actual closure, FYI. Then I sewed it on and unpicked the gathering stitch.
Then I sewed the bodice front and back right sides together at the shoulder seams and finished them with my serger.
I then made some bias tape with those strips I cut…enough for around the neckline and to finish the bottom of the sleeves.
Then I used this tutorial to sew some bias tape onto the neckline.
Then I cut two pieces of bias tape to loosely fit around Sadie’s arm-plus seam allowance. (about 7.5″) Then I gathered the bottom of the sleeve slightly to fit the bias tape and then sandwiched the pieces around the raw edge, then sewed it on making sure to catch the back of the bias tape at the same time.
Next I gathered the top of the sleeve (also slightly) to fit the armhole, then pinned it in and sewed them together.
Then pin and sew and serge the side seams, hem the bottom, and you’re done! oops, almost. I sewed a little hook and eye closure near the top of the neckline to keep it closed, but you could always layer it over a tank also.