So I cleaned out Sadie’s shirt drawer the other day and found out that she had outgrown half of them! That, coupled with cooler weather (hopefully) on the way, spurred me to make this tunic with longish sleeves. (Sadie’s official opinion: “Mom da sleeves are big. But I wike the birds.”)
While this top was coming together, I was worried that it would be too busy…and it might be…but it’s growing on me. It’s kind of groovy, actually.
It’s fairly simple, but has some interest in added trims, and a pleat in the front.
Of course you can never go wrong with the easy peasy button closure. I use these way too much, but for good reasons.
A. It’s way easy.
B. It’s way peasy.
I also added a band around the bottom for fun, and because the pattern I made was a bit short. Happy mistake!
I guess it makes Sadie feel like she can fly!
Here’s some quick notes about how I made it. (nothing special or hard about this one)
Click below for the tutorial!
fabric (I used a yard for 3T size)
1-2 yards trim if desired
First I made a quick pattern by folding a tee in half and tracing around it, adding seam allowance. Trace the back piece normally, but add 1-2 inches on the fold for the front piece. (depending on how deep you want your pleat)
Here are the pattern pieces laid out, hopefully that will help too. Then use your armhole on the pattern to sketch out a sleeve pattern. The sleeve pattern is on the far right. Here’s a better pic of the sleeve shape (from another tute, sorry!)
You can use a shirt your kiddo has to get the length where you want it, or measure them!
Cut out one front piece, one back piece, and two sleeves, all on the fold.
Then make the button closure with my easy peasy tutorial. (are you sick of that phrase yet? I’m pretty sure I over use it. I’m pretty sure I overuse “pretty sure” as well.)
On the front piece I laid out my trim pieces, then sewed them down.
I formed an inverted pleat in the middle, pressed it, then basted it together along the top.
Then sew the front and back pieces together at the shoulder seams. Always finish (zig zag stitch or serger) and press seams as you go!
Then on the bottom of the sleeves, I serged them, then ironed over the edge 1/4″.
Then I topstitched the trim right on to the right side of the fabric, hemming it and sewing on the trim in one step.
Then for the sleeves, fold one in half and place at the shoulder seam. Pin right sides together.
It should ease into place pretty well, just play around with it til it fits in. Then sew both sleeves in, then finish and press.
Then, sew and finish one side of the shirt-right sides together, of course.
Helloo lens cap!
Next I pressed a long strip of fabric in half, wrong sides together (mine was about 5″ wide), then serged it to the bottom of the shirt.
Press the seam towards the top of the shirt, then top stitch around the seam like so. Sew up the other side of the shirt, finish the seams, press, and sew on a button-and you’re done! It really is an easy top. Have fun!