I named it after my newest baby niece, Evelyn. She is adorable, and a sweetie pie...and I know this even though I haven't met her yet because, how could she not be? Babies are the best. (yes I'm a bit baby hungry lately as you saw on Friday's post!)
Anyways, it ended up fitting Charlotte almost perfectly! The neckline is a bit wide on her, but it's not too bad. Kind of an 80's look? huh huh...hmm. maybe not. eh. I'm over it.
The fabric is High Society by Anthology - Zinnia in Mustard.
I love the kangaroo pocket on the front, and so did Charlotte. They're great for stashing Pez in. Yes, we've created another Pez-loving monster. Sigh. and then brush brush brush those teeth.
My favorite, and signature, button closure in the back. Cute button huh?
Bonus: those curls. I die....love them.
So here's how I made it!
Click below for the full tutorial!
1-2 yard cotton woven fabric (depending on the size)
coordinating fabric to make into bias tape, or pre made bias tape
shirt to make the pattern with
First off, I folded my top in half and traced around the tee, but made it wider in the sides. (note: I used a 3T top thinking it would fit Sadie, it did but was a bit short. So keep in mind to lengthen the bodice more if you want it to be more of a tunic length.)
Where I wanted the elastic waist to hit, I folded up the shirt and drew a line. Then I drew the bottom portion, the side at a bit of an A-line. Make sure to add 5/8" seam allowance to the two pieces where they match up and an extra inch or so on the bottom for hemming.
This is to show where the pattern extended. I didn't add enough seam allowance though on this pattern. Do as I say....not as I do?
Then I used my ruler to straighten my lines and cut out the pattern.
tada! Like I said, add seam allowance to the pieces!
Then I used the armhole on the bodice to trace a sleeve pattern. (the top is the fold of course)
This is how I make my sleeve patterns-this one will have some gathering. Hope this pic helps!
Then trace the kangaroo flap again, and draw a swoopy bit like this (very scientific name) for the pocket.
Then I cut out 2 bodice pieces on the fold, one with the back neckline and one with the front. Then cut out 2 sleeves on the fold, and 2 kangaroo pieces on the fold, then 1 more with the pocket cut out.
Then I created a button closure (directions here), sewed the shoulder seams together, and gathered the front of the neckline a little since it was cut wider than I normally would.
Then I made my bias tape, and finished the neckline.
I also sewed some bias tape around the raw edge of the sleeve bottom.
Then gather the top of the sleeve to fit the armhole.
Pin it in...
and sew! Always finish your seams with a serger or zig zag stitch.
Then on the pocket piece, pin and sew bias tape to the pocket edge.
Then I basted the pocket piece to one of the other pieces along the sides.
Next I pinned and sewed the sides of the bodice and sleeves together, then finished the seams.
Then I sewed and finished the seams for the sides of the pocket pieces.
It's easier to hem it right now, also!
Then pin the pieces right sides together, they should fit just right, if not, wiggle it around til it's close enough-it'll be gathered so will hide small lumps & bumps.
Oh, and make sure to sew the front pocket and front bodice pieces together, and the back ones as well. It would stink to sew the pockets on to the back! lol
Then sew the top and pocket piece together with a 5/8" seam.
Then sew a casing along the top of the seam you just sewed, folding out the bottom so that the top is laying flat. I hope this makes sense! Leave a space open for your elastic.
Cut your elastic to fit the kiddos waist (mine was 20" so it would fit loosely), then thread through the casing and sew the ends together, then sew the casing shut. Sew on the button for the closure, and a bow on the front if desired.
Bask in the cuteness.